This is a summarized review of the SteelSeries Apex Pro, a premium 104-key mechanical gaming keyboard with dynamic RGB illumination. The size of the keyboard is 436.7 x 139.2 x 40.3mm and it weighs 0.97kg or 2.14 lb.
It has a keypress force of 45 cN, a response time of 0.7ms, and is advertised with a “lifetime” reliability of 100 million keypresses.
The following scores from Amazon for this product only, show that the 5-stars rating is 88%, while the 1-star rating is 2.5% only.
|Omnipoint adjustable switches||Adjustable actuation distance for each key from 0.4mm to 3.6mm.|
|Comfortable keys||Quiet and feels premium rated at 4.7/5 stars.|
|Cablet Management System||Custom cable routing from centre, right or left side of the back of the keyboard.|
|RGB illumination||Each key is customizable up to 24 bits or 16.8 million colour choices.|
|Fast response rate||Super fast response rate and actuation using magnetic sensors.|
|Aircraft-grade aluminium||Frame build in Aluminium 5000 series for lightweight, durable and rigid construction.|
|Magnetic wrist rest with premium surface||Detachable wrist rest with 8 rubber feet for stability, attaches via magnetic catch. The top surface feels premium.|
|Built-in LED mini screen||Display customized info from Spotify, Discord, etc.|
|Media volume wheel||A clickable metal roller and media keys allow you to adjust volume and settings on the fly: change brightness, rewind, skip, pause and more, all at the touch of a button.|
|100% Anti-Ghosting||Keypresses are sent without error and in the order pressed.|
- Expensive: Currently it is sold for around $170 which is expensive but around the same range as other high-end gaming keyboards such as the Razer Huntsman V2 selling at $199.
- No indications of CAPS Lock being on or off.
- It is not waterproof.
- The lifetime reliability of 100 million keypress does not mean lifetime warranty, according to SteelSeries:
- All countries outside the EU: 1-year warranty from date of purchase
- EU: 2-year warranty from date of purchase.
- User feedback with 1 or 2 stars is less than 5% which is impressive. There are the few with reported issues such as:
- The plastic or rubber feet below the keyboard fall off easily.
- Keyboard malfunctioned in less than a year, such as locking up, “sticky” keys,